Jean-Philippe Garric (born 1961) Professor of History of Architecture, University of Paris 1 Panthéon-Sorbonne since 2013.
Graduated in architecture (1985), assistant at the Institut Français d’Architecture (Paris, 1985-1987), Fellow at the French Academy in Rome (1987-1989), he dedicated his Ph.D. to “The Italian Model in French architectural Books” (2002). Assistant Professor at Notre-Dame Rome Studies Program (1992-1993), Associated Professor at the School of Architecture of Normandy (2000), he jointed the School of Architecture of Paris-Belleville (2004), where has been President of the board (2006-2012), director of the Research Center IPRAUS (2008-2012), and Full Professor of History of Architecture (2012).
Advisor for the History of Architecture (2006-2012) and Deputy Director of the Department of Research and Studies (2008-2012) at the Institut national d’histoire de l’art, he took part to creation of the Laboratory of Excellency (Labex) “Creations, Arts, Patrimonies” (2010), which he directed since 2015. Many institutions have invited him, including Roma La Sapienza (2018), for teaching and research. Thanks to Alliance program he will teach at Columbia University in 2019, during the spring semester.
An important part of his works is dedicated to exchanges between France and Italy between 1770 and 1870. Specialist of Charles Percier and Pierre Fontaine, the architects of Napoleon, to whom he dedicated a double biography (2012) and many publications, he was curator of the Percier exhibition (NY, Bard Graduate Center, 2016 and Fontainebleau, 2017). He prepares (with Laurent Baridon and Martial Guédron) the first exhibition dedicated to Jean Jacques Lequeu (Paris, Petit Palais, 2018-2019, NY Pierpoint Morgan Library, 2020).